Google News lists about 13,574 stories about the engagement of England’s Prince William to Kate Middleton but only 2,810 about the START treaty negotiations — a news event about a document that — with luck — will prevent some nation for turning us into a pile of radioactive ash some day.
At the same time, there are 4,232 stories about Bristol Palin appearing on the TV show “Dancing With the Stars.”
On weekdays, Channel 7 — WDBJ — interrupts its early evening newscasts with a rerun of the old Andy Griffith show at 5:30 p.m. The show outdraws the newscasts on Channel 10 and 13 combined.
According to Neilsen, a single episode of the so-called reality show Survivor outdraws the entire week’s worth of ratings for news shows on the major networks and cable TV newscasts.
Pew Research recently asked 1,000 adults if they could name the justices of the Supreme Court. Only 22 could. But 512 could name all the contestants in the current season of Survivor.
One of the most popular searches on Google is “Miley Cryrus nude” with 1,570,000 results. Cyrus is the teenager who plays Hannah Montana on the Disney Channel. Gossip blogger Perez Hilton got into hot water in June for posting an uncensored photo of 17-year-old Cyrus in a short skirt and no underwear. The photo received more than two million hits before Hilton removed the photo after being threatened with charges of child pornography.
Legendary journalist H.L. Mencken probably said it best:
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
- Is Miley Cyrus in a Real Life ‘Hannah Montana’ Situation? (jsyk.com)
- Has Bristol Palin ruined ‘Dancing with the Stars’? (themoderatevoice.com)
- Bristol Palin receiving threats at ‘Dancing with the Stars’? (hollywoodnews.com)
- If Bristol Palin Wins, ‘Dancing’ Is Ruined (huffingtonpost.com)
- Prince William and Kate Middleton (cbsnews.com)
- Down-to-earth Kate Middleton will be a perfect princess, says Coleen Nolan (mirror.co.uk)